A delicious lower carbohydrate option that is quick and easy to make!
2 Mintues to make, overnight to set
Calories Per Serving:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup grated onion (from about 1/2 medium yellow onion)
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional but it adds a naturally cheesy/savory flavor)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 1/8 cup breadcrumbs (Italian style is great)
- 1/2 pound ground dark meat turkey or ground beef, grass-fed if possible
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- No-sugar-added marinara sauce of choice, for serving (optional)
A few quick tips:
-Microwave your spaghetti squash for about 5 minutes prior to cutting it to make it easier to cut through.
-Look for the leaner ground turkey breast like (eg. Jennie-O brand)
-Look for pasta sauce that has no added sugar, or at least one that is less than 45 calories per serving.
Protein: 20 grams
Carbs: 27 grams NET carbs 23 grams
Fat: 11 grams
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds and insides. Place on a baking sheet and spray each side with Pam. Place face down in the oven for about 40 minutes.
While the spaghetti squash is cooking, in a large bowl, mix together the grated onion, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, and breadcrumbs until well combined. Add the meat, stirring until well combined (clean hands work best), being careful not to overmix.
Roll the mixture into balls. Place each on a rimmed baking baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil or spray pam.
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then cook the meatballs until golden and cooked through, flipping halfway through.
Remove from the pot, add to sauce of choice (if using), and serve.